Saturday, January 5, 2008

New Leads

Date: Jan. 5, 200i

Source: Sonoma State, California Ethnic Lit

Role of Person: or Medium Course reading
"California's Literary Landscape" by Gerald W. Haslam
Contact or Biblio Data Ca mystery writer Fredrick Zackel

Notes: Never heard of this writer, did internet search and discovered he was a protage of Ross MacDonald. He wrote two novels, Cocaine and Blue Eyes and Cinderlla ??? I was able to read the first chapter of Cocaine and Blue Eyes on the website: thrillingdetective.com. I loved it! Strong, realistic characters, set in northern CA logging area, opens at a truck stop. I want to read this book.

Action searched for book in library, no where to be found in Contra Costa. I can order from Amazon but I'm getting worried about time to include in my project. I think the book would be a good representation from the 70's and drug culture with a murder mystery

Kew Leads I read a bio about Zackel, learned that he met Ross MacDonald (aka Ken Millar - I didn't know that!!!) and MacDonald's wife, Margaret Millar, a feminist mystery writer w/fictional Santa Barabara settings in the 40's, 50's, 60's. She even won a Edgar Award for Beast in View (1955) and wrote two other runner ups.

No comments: